Your body’s PH level and your health!Some health care providers believe that our body’s PH level is extremely important while others insist it is essential to our overall health and wellness. PH stands for power of hydrogen, which is a measurement of the hydrogen ion concentration in the body. The total pH scale ranges from 1 to 14, with 7 considered to be neutral. A pH less than 7 is said to be acidic and solutions with a pH greater than 7 are basic or alkaline. Our ideal pH is slightly alkaline – 7.30 to 7.45. You can test your pH levels regularly by using a piece of litmus paper in your saliva or urine first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything.
So why is this important? Well in order for the body to perform at its most efficient function, internal homeostasis must be maintained. An acidic body is a breeding ground for illness and disease. Here are some examples of the effects of having an acidic body.
1. Digestive System – Most digestive disorders, such as indigestion, nausea, bloating, gastric reflux, are symptoms caused by excess acid in the gastric region and not enough alkaline minerals in the intestinal tract.
2. Circulatory System – Acidity is the principal cause of heart disease.
3. Immune System – Acidic environments are breeding grounds for anaerobic pathogens whereas the high levels hydrogen of rich body fluids keep bad bacteria inactive. As the great scientist, Antoine Béchamp famously observed ‘The germ is nothing, the terrain is everything.’
4. Respiratory System – When the tissues and organs are overloaded by acidity the transport of oxygen is strangled. When the ratio of acidity is too high then wastes in the form of mucus and infections and viruses build up in our lungs, which leads to colds, bronchitis, asthma, etc.
5. Skeletal System – Arthritis is one of the most disabling diseases in developed countries. The word arthritis means “inflammation of the joint” and is used to describe pain, stiffness, and swelling in the joints. The two main form of arthritis are Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis. Both forms are related to pH imbalance and accumulation of acid deposits in the joints and wrists.
6. Integumentary System – Commonly know as the skin. When the body’s pH is out of balance then the build up of acid causes inflammation and the skin is less able to function as a natural barrier against infection. As a result, the skin tends to develop lesions and sores open to the surface of the body, and the formation of skin eruptions occur like pimples or rashes.
7. Nervous System – Acidity weakens the nervous system by depriving it of energy. This is also known as ‘devitalizing’ or ‘enervation’. It makes the physical, mental, and emotional body weak.
8. Excretory System – This is also known as the urinary system. It is made up of multiple organs, the main one being the kidneys. If the body is overwhelmed by excess acids, compensatory mechanisms spring into action, one of them is the pulling of alkaline minerals from your bones and dumping them in the blood. If this occurs frequently enough, the minerals build up in the kidneys in the form of painful kidney stones.
9. Muscular System – When acidity increases in the muscle cells, it disrupts the metabolism breakdown of glucose and oxygen to energy. This means muscles perform poorly in an acidic environment.
As if these 9 things weren’t enough, if left untreated, major diseases such as cancers, schizophrenia, lupus, MS and many others may develop. Other symptoms include migraines, asthma, cold sores, eczema, foggy brain and depression, fatigue, heart burn, panic attacks, dizziness and the list goes on.
In order to avoid acidosis and keep our bodies more on the alkaline side we should be very cognizant of the foods and drinks we intake. Some examples of acidic foods/drinks are soda, energy drinks, pre-packed, processed, carbohydrate and sugar rich foods, meat, seafood, cheese, milk and other dairy products. Aside from those, exposure to pesticides and medications and antibiotic use can produce acidity in the body. It’s not to say that you cannot have these foods but to limit an over abundance.
To reduce the acidity in the body, simply limit or eliminate the above mentioned acidic foods and incorporate more fruits and veggie’s along with water.
How Young Living can help: AlkaLime alkalinity powder with calcium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate and essential oils is formulated to neutralize acidity and maintain desirable pH levels in the body. AlkaLime also features enhanced effervescence and biochemic cell salts for increased effectiveness.
*The above content was taken from a couple different websites after researching about ph levels and the body. Please don’t self diagnose, and check with your health care provider if you have any of the above symptoms. As stated before, I am not a doctor, just a Mom and Wife looking for alternative health methods to keep my family healthy. 🙂